20 times the Royal Family nailed TV appearances
Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II will turn 90 on 21 April this year. ITV have decided to celebrate the occasion with a landmark film documenting her life, from World War II to her coronation in 1953 and all the way through her 60 year reign.
The film will feature archive footage from throughout her reign as well as interviews with Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall and The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
A live event, hosted by Ant and Dec and taking place at Windsor Castle, will also be broadcast later in the year. Speaking on The Graham Norton Show, the Geordie pair revealed that they had been specifically requested by the Queen to host the celebrations for her 90th birthday. They have since said:
“We are honoured to be hosting this special celebration of Her Majesty The Queen’s 90th Birthday. This spectacular evening will bring together some of the best known names in the entertainment world who will perform with 900 horses and 1500 participants to mark this very special birthday.”
In honour of Her Maj running our country, producing a hilarious family and generally being a badass lady for 90 years, we’ve found 20 times the Royal Family absolutely nailed TV appearances.
1. When Prince Charles showed his sister the way to handle photographs.
2. When Prince William decided to take the lead on the whole waving to the press thing.
3. When Princess Anne tried to break Wills’ flow at a Trooping of the Colour and he was having none of it.
4. When Diana had the world’s most difficult interview to film and nailed it in one line.
5. When Prince Harry demonstrated his love of animals.
6. When Prince Charles tried his luck at another career.
7. When Tinie Tempah risked beheading during his performance at the BAFTAs…
…but managed to absolutely smash it.
8. When Prince William sang with Bon Jovi and Taylor Swift… really.
9. When Harry got caught out when he should have been listening.
10. When Prince Philip whipped up some more of that famous charm.
11. When little Harry gave us a clue as to what he’d be like in the future.
12. And then continued to confirm to us that he was the ladies’ man we had all hoped for.
13. When Kate and Wills got married and everybody in the country simultaneously got something in their eye.
14. When Prince George was like – who is this peasant you’re pointing me at? – then instantly realised she was a girl and she was to be his Queen.
15. When George was like – don’t worry Dad, I’ve got this – and then made sure he got the most face time on camera.
16. When the future King of England met the current Queen of the world and just fangirled all over the place.
17. When Charlotte just lay there like – I am rocking this bonnet.
18. When George was fed up with all the fake sincerity from the people of Australia and just wanted to teach them a lesson.
19. When George leant into his sister’s pram to tell her to back off, he is future King and therefore gets all TV rights.
20. And finally, who could ever forget the day our Queen was so badass she took part in a sketch with Daniel Craig for the 2012 London Olympics opening ceremony?!
The Queen at 90 airs tonight at 9pm on ITV.